February 13, 2014

Review ~ Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout




 “Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude.
It was the holy trinity of hot boys.”

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Title: Obsidian 
Author:
 Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: 
Lux #1
Length: 
Paperback,  335 pages
Publisher:
 Entangled Teen
Original Publication Date:
  May 8th 2012
ISBN 13:
 9781620610077
Goodreads || Amazon

Unbelievable, but true nonetheless. I never thought I 'd ever read this book - I failed at my first attempt months ago - and I especially never thought that by the end, I'm gonna actually enjoy it. A book challenge made me pick it up again, and I'm glad I did.

There were parts kinda slow and boring to me, I actually skipped a few, but overall, it did kept me entertained. Yes it is predictable, and a bit cliché, but it's a fun book. Fortunately, from the second half things got so speed up, I actually sat up in my chair.
I liked the story and loved the world building, and I can wait to see more in the next books. Enjoyed the unfolding of the romance, it wasn't rush, wasn't cheesy either. It was however, exciting, entertaining and sometimes frustrating. I really enjoyed the snarky bantering between Kat and Daemon. 

Surprisingly, Kat didn't make me want to slap her - most of the time, anyway - and even made me laugh out loud a few times. She stood up more for herself, than I expected. Never backed down from Daemon or anyone else, and she did not cry whenever someone hurt her feelings. Definitely earned some bonus points with me. And she's not a scared little girl, she's brave. A bit slow on catching up on things, though. 

About Daemon... Now I'm not saying He would not have deserved a kick in the balls, I would've hit him a few times, but his cold-warm behavior was fun (and somehow reasonable and understandable). And damn, HE IS FUNNY! An entertaining jackass. I got to like him. As Katy says “Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” This pretty much sums Daemon up.. at least most of the time. He can be sweet, of course.

With the side characters, however, I can't do anything. I didn't really care about Dee, even though she's a nice girl, great friend, but I just did not see much sense in her character in addition to being a bridge between the two main characters. The other members of the Luxen group also did not create any lasting value. They were pretty average, cliched characters in my opinion.

Jennifer's style is light and fun, so it did not take me long to finish Obsidian. 100 % that I will continue the series, although, for now I would not say it's a favorite, but it sparked my interest.
 
Favorite scene(s): Final battle scene, And pretty much almost every scene with Daemon and Katy.
Favorite character(s): Daemon, Katy, Adam.
Favorite quote(s):

„Why are you such an ass?” The words came out before I could think twice.
„Everyone has to excel at something, right?”
„Well, you're doing a great job.”
„Not all of us have control over what we can do. Some struggle with their abilities.”
„But you do?”
„I'm just that awesome.”
„That's enough.” Daemon grabbed Ash's arm. „There's a McDonald's down the street. We'll get you a Happy Meal. Maybe that'll make you happier.”
"You look like you got more of a bath than the car. I never thought washing a car would be so hard, but after watching you for the last fifteen minutes, I’m convinced it should be an Olympic sport."





DhesiX Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment