July 13, 2012

Review ~ Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost


Title: Once Burned
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Prince #1
Length: 346 pages (mass market)
Released: June 26th 2012 by Avon
She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

My Thoughts:


For those who are wondering if it can be read without the Night Huntress books, my answer is YES! Cat, Bones, Mencheres and Kira make their appearance in one scene and only a for a few lines (which was hilarious... Bones and Vlad at one place? PRICELESS! But those who haven't read the Night Huntress book will find it funny too). Other than that, the whole story is about Vlad, Leila and their own world with their own problems.

“Remind me to kill Bones next time I see him” - Vlad 

Haha! Meanie Bones told Leila something. Anyway, back to the story...

The story is from Leila's POV. When I first heard there will be a book for Vlad, I thought it's going to be from his point of view, and was a little bit disappointed when the opposite turned out. However, Leila was a fantastic chic. Not as awesome as Cat, but I loved her. Her inner thoughts and comments are sometimes funny, especially when she's all around mind reader vampires. And her comebacks aren't cheap either. She already knew about vampires even before some of them kidnapped her, in fact, her best friend, Marty is a vampire. So she has these cool/not so cool, depends on the situation, powers. You touch her, she zaps you, and it can be fatal. So don't piss her off, unless you're a vampire, or fireproof or both. But that's not her only power. No, she can see people's sins or future by touching them or something that belongs to them. That is how she ends up with Vlad.

Someone's out to kill Vlad. Someone wants revenge and uses Leila to get it. At least, that was the original plan, but not for nothing has our Vlad earned such a terrific reputation for. He saves Leila from her kidnappers and takes her to his home where she would be safe and they can figure out who is the big bad wolf...err...bat. Meanwhile Vlad is trying to teach her how to improve her power to have a better effect on vampires, but all she wants is less power and not more. And why would she think otherwise? After all her powers ruined her life, her family. But soon she realizes that if she wants to live she has to be more powerful. I call this catch-22. Sucks to be you honey. Oh wait, you had sex with a Legendary vampire... I'll take that back.

Leila has several close-encounters with death, so the readers definitely won't get bored. Marty has a serious secret about Leila. Just for you to know how serious it is, this is Vlad's reaction:
"The next time you withhold information from me, rest assured that I’ll burn you to death."
The romance between Vlad and Leila is most certainly not the usual love story. But then again, we're talking about Vlad Tepesh here, aren't we. No, no I'm not judging my love, I know better than to believe those stories about you. I couldn't believe the reviews that said Vlad gives Bones a run for his money. I'm still not sure about that, but he is definitely close to it. Don't expect him to be a romantic hero with lots of love quotes and stuff, because you will be disappointed. He is snarky, arrogant and rude, and I don't care bitches, because he's also sexy as hell, protects his people and his territory, and I love his sarcastic, cool humour. That is what you can expect from Vlad Tepesh in his book.

The ending wasn't a cliffhanger, but it left open some doors, including the relationship between Vlad and Leila and I'm not sure about the villain either. We'll see, but as Leila said;


"This is far from over."


Favourite character(s):  Vlad and Leila.
Favourite scene(s): When Marty tells the truth about Leila. That was a dramatic but nice scene.
Favorite quote(s): I have sooo many, but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll go with this, that made me laugh out loud!
My father turned his attention back to me. „What if we elect not to be sequestered with you? What then?”
„You'll be captured, tortured, and eventually killed by the people after your daughter,” Vlad replied in a casual tone.
My mouth fell open at his bluntnes. Gretchen let out a shocked gasp. Vlad looked at me and shrugged as if to say, You wanted me to take over.

If this wasn't enough for you to buy the book, then let me give you another serious, heavy reason:
LOOK AT THE COVER! It's PAUL MARRON! 'Nuff said!

Next book in the Night Prince series called "Twice Tempted" and is coming out in March, 2013.
The next (7th) Night Huntress book with Cat & Bones is coming out winter, 2013.


I LOVED it, could re read it over and over. In fact, I already did!




DhesiX Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment