April 22, 2012

Review ~ Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer





Title: Bloodrose
Author: Andrea Cremer
Series: Nightshade #3
Length: 406 pages, Hardcover
Publisher: Philomel
Original Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Calla has always welcomed war. 

But now that the final battle is upon her, there's more at stake than fighting. There's saving Ren, even if it incurs Shay's wrath. There's keeping Ansel safe, even if he's been branded a traitor. There's proving herself as the pack's alpha, facing unnamable horrors, and ridding the world of the Keepers' magic once and for all. And then there's deciding what to do when the war ends. If Calla makes it out alive, that is.


So.. Finally, I managed to read this book and it left me with mixed feelings. Like the first volume in the series did not make it on to my “favorite books” list, neither did Bloodrose. Not like Wolfesbane did. However, this series will be always in my top 3 favorite YA series.

Thanks to the lovely Ella for the book!! 

Now let’s see why Bloodrose isn’t one of my favorites: 

1. I am a very character-centric reader. Especially when the story is being told in first person. Because I must follow the narrator’s train of thought to the end of the book, I have to accept her/his style. If I don’t like the main character it makes tough for me to enjoy the story. In this story, the World’s and mine –, eyes on Calla. She’s the narrator. I didn’t have problem with this in the first two books, and not until the middle of Bloodrose. But if Andrea wanted us to start hating Calla, then MISSION COMPLETED (for me)! She just converted from a rationalist, caring alpha she-wolf stuck between two loves (I could live with that, because it was a good complication, even though I hate love triangles, and I hated Shay as well…) into a selfish, annoying, whiny, manipulating b*tch. To leave someone, who would give his life for her, be in doubts, when she clearly knows whom she wants, and whom she will choose, just to make sure the other boy won’t run away before the war, is not alpha behavior! It is cruel and timid act. Especially, if two boys are waiting for her decision. The true alpha would spit it out (Like exactly how the old Calla would have done…) and after that would she dealing with the consequences, and as a good leader would solve this situation easily (and she would have succeeded, because neither of the two alpha male were dumb ass to understand what’s important and what is at stake). That’s why the unnecessarily continuous love triangle pissed me off, ‘til the event in my second reason:

2. First, thanks to my Lupi - Guardian Friend for sparing me a few tissues by spoiling me this before I even got the book (I’m not mad at you! <3)! Maybe my reaction would be different, maybe not, if I would not expect this to come. When she told me, how the author solved the love triangle problem, I had the same reaction that every fan had, and said “SCREW YOU! ” However, I thought about it, and I have to say, this was probably the best solution in this situation, which Andrea created for herself. With following my advice in my first point, this would not have been necessary, but of course, we looove the drama (at least I do). Plus, it does not shed anybody’s pride. But we felt the drama just because we liked this character. The emphasis was not on it for a long time, and we didn’t really felt the weight of the event in the book. It has only a bit more emotion in it than in a death scene of a side character in the middle of the book.

3. My third reason is connecting to the first. Bloodrose is another book where I liked the side characters more than the protagonist. The same goes to the romantic relationships in the book. I was more interested in Connor’s and Adne’s relationship, than Calla’s love life. Speaking of Connor… he was my favorite character in this volume. Part of his comments saved the book for me. He always cracked me up, when the book was getting boring.

But let’s talk about why is this series will be always one of my favorite YA series: 

1. Wolves. Ok, Ok. It’s about them from the beginning. But they’re the pivot of the war. Hence they were more in wolf shape than ever, we got a better picture of how their pack worked together, how they fought side by side.
2. There was a bunch of interesting info. For example about Shay’s parents, other guardians and new creatures.

3. Shay grew up to the task! I’m so proud of him! He really is a badass character now (still Ren FTW!).

4. Lots of action!! From around pg. 180 the events were spinning (finally!). The books’ title could have been “Mission Impossible”, because getting the Scion’s weapons was NOT a trip in Disneyland. Then there was the final battle, which is well worthy of that title.

5. The final twist. Since I have read a few reviews and saw everyone complained about it, I was speculating about that, while I was reading the book. I created about twenty versions of ending in my head most of them were conspiracy theories, BUT frankly, I did not expect this. But I LOVED IT! Yes, I’m in the opponents base. Most of the fans did not like this twist, but I think it was BRILLIANT. Of course, now I have questions because of this. Is the amnesia playing a role in this or not? How the new “Guardians” will do their job now and such. And exactly this part of the book and the actions are the reason why I give this book 4 stars instead of 3 stars…

I have a question, which is not exactly a question, but it bothered me:
So, when they shift into wolf forms, where are their clothes goes an when they shift back, how the hell they’re still in clothes? We could say, it’s because they shape shift with magic (probably this would have been the case), but if this is the case, then how can they change their eyes and fangs? It has to be physical shifting, rather than magical. So what explains the clothes issue, now? Then they are not shifting forms with magic? (Please somebody explain it to me!)

Overall: This is a MUST READ to every Nightshade fan!







DhesiX Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment