March 30, 2012

Review ~ Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward


Title:  Lover Eternal
Author: J.R. Ward
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood (Book 2)
Publisher:  Penguin (July 3rd 2006)
Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetite. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover-for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin.

Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him. When Mary Luce is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world, she must rely on Rhage's protection. Knowing that Mary feels the same intense animal attraction, Rhage must make her his alone...



Okay, so this was a group read (actually the entire series) so I had enough motivation to keep reading. This was a huge help! I started this book so many time in the past years, because everyone kept saying how awesome this series is and I really liked the first book and Rhage seemed interesting character. Right until I started to read the book.

I had a super hard time with this book. I started to like it at the last third of the book. Rhage could have been sooooo much better hero I think. He did not really impress me. He was such a cry-baby in 70% of his appearance.

The heroine, Mary was just a totally unpredictable character. Once she was super strong (emotionally of course) and in the next moment she was whining about EVERYTHING that wasn't a big deal, but when she SHOULD have whining, because that would have been the realistic reaction, she was like Oh It's okay, not creepy/dangerous at all...! Plus she was so stupid sometimes. Couldn't see or understand obvious things. Because when a hot guy is kissing you in 5 minutes, and then goes further, it's obvious he just want to be friends. YEAH RIGHT. Girl, either think that he just wants to you to be a Booty call, or believe he actually wants you, but please don't think he wants to be friends... Oh and the Mary - virgin thing?? HOW FREAKIN' OBVIOUS WAS THAT??

God save me from a friend like Mary!! *SPOILER* there's something bad happening with Bella in the last few chapters, but besides she discovered it, Mary doesn't really give a shit about it. I know, I get it, she was sick, but not anymore, and she's just happy and enjoying Rhage, but c'mon, at least think about your friend who actually helped you two to get together at the first place... *SPOILER END*

I'm very aware that this is a PNR, but good GOD I was so happy when finally something exciting happened. The lack of action/story was just incredible boring and the romance between the main characters was annoying- actually they had a few moments when I said, ok that's it, keep that up and we'll be fine, but unfortunately they didn't- 'til at last the last 30 pages of the book.

And the lessers are pathetic. They are supposed to be the big bad guys, but they look so weak. And most of the parts of Mr. O's POV seemed unnecessary to me. It's like if Ward wrote them only because she had to fill out the blank pages with something. Like when they were building something. Oh yeah, because that was so fucking necessary!! His character changed like Mary's did. But at least he was creepy enough to be a bad guy.

Oh and I'm really curious abot this John guy... Who the heck is he??

I actually enjoyed when we got to see what the side characters are doing more than the two protagonists’ fights with their feelings. I'm still annoyed by these Mr.X, Mr.O, Mr. U etc... callings. BUT the brothers's names is PHENOMENAL!! I Love this insane-style. I mean Rhage, Phury, Zsadist, Wrath Thorment, etc...??? SUPER COOL!

It was super easy to distract me while I was reading this. The worst part is that I ended up LIKING IT! I don't know why, how crazy is that?? No I'm still not a fan and wouldn't read it again (only if you pay me a LOT for doing it).

There was a few line that cracked me up:
"Rhage, buddy. We gotta bounce."
The vampire lifted his head, all tight lips and narrowed eyes.
Butch held his hands up. "I'm not cock-blocking for kicks and giggles. The mother ship
called."
Something bounced on the hood of the Escalade with a bang. Oh, God, was that a head?
No, a boot. Maybe the creature didn't like the taste of rubber.
"Can't see."
"Just as well. No reason for you to know what we look like naked together. Frankly, I'm
traumatized enough for the both of us."
"And look who's here. It's Nurse Vishous."
"Hal, do you have any kind of filter between your brain and your mouth?"
"Not really."
“Fine, good, Mary thought. Then how about dragging your skinny ass out of here and making sure your replacement is an ugly, two-toothed gorgon in a muumuu.”

Favorite character(s): Zsadist and Bella, and I really hope they won't dissapoint me in their book.
Favorite scene(s): Uhm... the entire party scene, when everyone (well most of them) was there.

P.S.: is there anyone out there in the universe, who actually likes this Scribe Virgin chic??

Anyway, I'm done. I loved Bella's and Zsadist's character, so I'm ready to start Lover Awakened. I'm super excited for them!!





DhesiX Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment